Do you live somewhere in the city where you’re constantly plagued by the noises from traffic or ongoing construction? This can get very annoying, and it might not only mess up your sleep schedule, but also cause disturbance for you and your family throughout the day when you’re trying to work or just enjoying your time together.
Sound blocking curtains are an excellent solution to this problem. Your windows and doors are the main source of the sound coming in from outside, and putting up some sound blocking curtains can give you a respite from this problem.
In a hurry ? Here are our top picks
In this article, we outline the specifications, pros, and cons of the best sound blocking curtains that you can purchase today.
In a hurry? Here are our top picks for the best sound blocking curtains based on their characteristics that would suit your individual requirements.
Best Overall: Nicetown Full Shade Curtain Panels
“Overall, these curtains look good and will help improve your sleep, so if you’re considering getting blackout curtains, you can’t go wrong with these.”
Best Budget: Deconovo Noise Blocking Curtains
“The color is pretty accurate to the images shown, and the curtains do block 95% light in the room. They are made of thick, nice material, not too shiny.”
Best Splurge: StangH Beige Blush Curtains
“Absolutely GORGEOUS!! These are heavy weight, super soft, well made LUXURIOUS curtains. I am thrilled with this purchase and actually just placed another order for more. I am super picky and 100% recommend these curtains.”
Best For Large Windows: Hiasan Soundproof Divider Curtain
“Sturdy material without being too heavy. Soft and easy to keep clean and looking great so far. Keeps the light from coming through at all. Very pleased with this item and intend to buy another.”
Best For Small Windows: DWCN Blackout Curtains
“I bought 2 different sizes for my son’s room. They have a small amount of weight to them but they still are very light. Definitely the best blackout curtains I have ever owned! They block light extremely well, they are very soft, but still have a very sturdy feeling.”
The first best sound blocking curtains on our list, these curtains from Nicetown come in a gray color in a pack of 2 polyester panels. The design of the curtains comes in a silver grommet pattern that lends a great aesthetic appeal to the windows of your house.
The noise reduction offered by these curtains is possible because of the heavy design and double layered construction present on the curtains. They are made out of triple weave blackout fabric, which not only help with the noise but also with blocking out light and regulating the temperature of the room.
The length of the curtains might be slightly lesser than mentioned in the description. According to a verified Amazon customer, “Each panel is closer to 50″ wide instead of the advertised 52″. Now I need to buy another pair. It should also be noted that while on a curtain rod, the pleating will also cut down the width to be closer to about 46″.”
- Brand: Nicetown
- Color: Gray
- Material: Polyester
- Curtain dimensions: 52 x 84 inches
- Item weight: 4.95 pounds
- Package dimensions: 84 x 52 x 0.5 inches
- Triple weave design and double layer construction makes for thick, high quality curtains
- Can regulate the temperature of the room and block out extra light
- Sturdy construction blocks out noise from the room
- Size can be slightly smaller than expected
- Reviews suggest that it takes a lot of effort to get wrinkles out of them after washes
Unlike the Nicetown curtains, these soundproofing curtains from DWCN will give you more light protection as they are black in color. The curtains come with a rod pocket design that will fit on most frames.
The curtains are made of a polyester blend and are 42 x 63 inches in dimensions. They are also thermally insulated to ensure that you can save energy in winter and summer months by regulating the temperature inside the house.
The heavy construction of the curtains also makes sure that they provide a noise canceling feature around your windows. However, some reviews have claimed that these curtains are slightly thinner than the competition.
According to an Amazon verified customer, “They are a good value, but they are fairly thin. They hang well and are very well made. They are high-quality curtains for the price, which block light ok but are not quite thick enough to be called thermal.”
- Brand: DWCN
- Color: Black
- Material: Polyester
- Curtain dimensions: 42 x 63 inches
- Item weight: 2.25 pounds
- Package dimensions: 63 x 42 x 0.01 inches
- Black color ensures that light blocking is carried out well
- Thermal insulation is provided by the temperature regulating nature of the curtains
- High quality polyester works well in absorbing outside noises and providing proper sound reduction
- Some reviews suggest that the curtains are quite thin, which can reduce their thermal properties
- The curtains are not very large, and not suitable for large windows
These best sound blocking curtains from Deconovo come in a navy blue color and a 100% polyester construction, making them great for sound absorption. Compared to the best sound blocking curtains from DWCN, they are also quite large in size, and come in a pack of 2 pieces of 42 x 84 inches each, making them great for bigger windows.
The solid color of the curtains helps them block out a lot of light from outside, as well, giving you a more versatile experience. The fabric with which the curtains are made is also quite sleek, giving you a better look for your living spaces.
There have been some complaints about the stitching in these curtains by some reviewers. A verified Amazon customer said, “These have randomly crappy stitches, as did another curtain I just bought. They have a hint of shiny sparkle in the right light, very subtle and I like it. Overall I’m quite happy with these.”
- Brand: Deconovo
- Color: Navy Blue
- Material: Polyester
- Curtain dimensions: 42 x 84 inches
- Item weight: 2.93 pounds
- Package dimensions: 15.98 x 13.39 x 2.72 inches
- The curtains are made out of high quality materials, and have a sleek look to them
- Quite large in size, perfect for larger windows, as well
- Thick construction blocks out light, regulates temperature, and provides soundproofing abilities
- Machine washable
- Some reviews suggest that the stitching might be frayed in some products
- Some color mismatch might be noticed
Coming in a large size of 52 by 96 inches, you can use these curtains for full size doors and windows that reach down to the floor. The fabric used in the construction of these curtains is velvet, which means that you get a rich, thick material.
The velvet not only helps block out light and control the temperature of the house but also helps absorb sound. Besides this, velvet is one of the best fabrics you can have around your house, as it is soft, sleek, and can really tie a room together.
Despite the delicate material used in the construction, these curtains are easily machine washable. They come in a beige color that can give a rich look to your living room and other spaces.
The curtains come in a slightly darker color than shown in the pictures, which can be a good or a bad thing depending on how you want them to look. According to a verified Amazon user, “So they are much darker than seen in the picture. They are very beautiful and deep in color. Would have loved the exact look. They are great for the money.”
- Brand: StangH
- Color: Beige Blush
- Material: Velvet
- Curtain dimensions: 52 x 96 inches
- Item weight: 4.61 pounds
- Package dimensions: 96 x 52 x 0.03 inches
- The curtains are quite large in size, making them great choices for full length windows or doors
- They are made from velvet, giving them a soft feel and a sleek, luxurious look
- The heavy material makes them great for both blocking out sound and light
- Some reviewers have claimed that the curtains curl up around the corners
- Can be slightly darker than shown in the pictures
Made with 100% polyester, these best sound blocking curtains are the largest one on our list, even compared to the product by StangH. Coming in at 84 x 100 inches, these curtains come in a single large design. The triple weave polyester fabric gives them its soundproofing and light blocking qualities for an excellent experience.
The curtains come in a black color, with an even color on both sides, which means that they can be used not just on windows but also as dividers in your living spaces. The silver grommets that go with the curtain make them easy to slide across rods while giving them a sleek, rich look.
Their design makes them great for use in living rooms, clinics, dining rooms, closets, and fitting rooms, as well. Some reviewers have suggested that there might be some issues with the color accuracy and the stitching, but have claimed that it’s worth the price.
A verified Amazon customer said, “Pros: Length, Fabric weight, Quality grommets. Cons: The white is not a pure white, it is light gray, Stitching is a bit crooked but okay for the price.”
- Brand: Hiasan
- Color: Black
- Material: Polyester
- Curtain dimensions: 84 x 100 inches
- Item weight: 3.25 pounds
- Package dimensions: 13.5 x 11.5 x 2inches
- The curtain is quite large in size, making it a great choice as a room divider in living rooms, clinics, and closets
- Large size and thick construction helps in blocking out light and sound
- Grommet design gives them a sleek, luxurious look and feel
- Color accuracy might be slightly off
- Some reviewers have claimed that the stitches can be slightly crooked
Q: How do soundproofing curtains work?
A: The fabric in soundproofing curtains absorb the sound coming from external sources, giving you a peaceful environment to work or enjoy your time in.
Q: Which materials are used to make soundproofing curtains?
A: A lot of materials can be used for soundproofing elements, including foam, linen, suede, and vinyl. For the purpose of this article, we have considered velvet and polyester curtains, which give you the perfect balance between sound blocking abilities and enhancing the looks of your home or office.
Q: How much noise is blocked by soundproofing curtains?
A: Just a curtain over your windows is not going to completely soundproof your apartment, but you can still expect a sizable reduction in the sound coming from outside should you choose to set up the curtains mentioned in this article. 60-80% of noise can be blocked by using the right curtains.
Nobody wants to live or work in a place where you’re constantly being disturbed by external noises. This can affect your sleep, work, and even interpersonal relationships. In this article, we have outlined the best sound blocking curtains available on the market today. These products will help you achieve the peace that you deserve.
We hope that we have helped you pick out the best option according to your requirements. If you’re interested in similar articles, feel free to check out our other articles, as well!